Why has my kidney stopped functioning?

Friday, 15 May 2009
Answered by: Dr. S. Bulchand
Consultant Nephrologist,
Jaslok Hospital & Research Centre,
Mumbai

Q. I am a 30 years old man who had undergone kidney transplant 10 years back and now my creatinine level is 2.85 mg7dl. The doctor says that my kidney has stopped functioning about more than 50%. Please advise.

A.  Yes indeed your kidney is not functioning well, which is not uncommon ten years after a transplant. Your doctor will now do his utmost to keep it going for as long as he can. He may change the immunosuppressive drugs to higher power ones. But the response has to be carefully watched with a sense of attachment and detachment combined. If it does not work and creatinine keeps rising, at some opportune moment you can have a second transplant. But all this is of course easier said than done, but you have no choice except to find the strength for it.