Is discharge of water from uterus during pregnancy risky?

Thursday, 14 May 2009
Answered by: Dr. Abha Majumdar
Head of Centre of IVF and Human Reproduction, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology,
Sir Ganga Ram Hospital,

Q. My 30 years old wife is carrying twins and is into her sixth month of pregnancy. She had water discharge from the uterus last month. After sonography, the doctor told us that water level in one baby bag is low and the other baby is healthy. He also told me one baby is in the opposite direction and this may be the reason for discharge of water. The doctor asked my wife to take complete bed rest and to put up the bed at an angle of 180 degree from foot side, which we did. Still, yesterday, my wife had a little water discharge. Why did this happen? How do we make sure that the babies are fine?

A.  The most important thing is that you must register your wife for delivery in the hospital, which has the best Neonatal Nursery of the town. It is no use having the bed at 180 degree. Your wife can lie down on a normal bed, use pillows, go to the toilet and sit up to have her food. She just needs to be in bed more than a normal person does because the water will keep flowing what ever you may do. Take her to a good obstetrician who can give her steroid cover, which will help the babies fight with prematurity better. Be mentally prepared that your wife will go into labour sooner or later. Antibiotics may be important and can be continued till she delivers. Proper investigations to ensure no infection are required.