What are the side effects of Astymin?

Tuesday, 14 April 2009

Q. I am a 21 years old pregnant woman and I was advised by the doctor to use Vit-iron for my unborn child but Vit-iron caused rashes so another doctor prescribed Astymin. Is it safe to switch? What are the side effects of Astymin?

A.  Astymin contains vitamins and some proteins. It is indicated in patients suffering from protein deficiency (hypoproteinaemia), in patients who have undergone surgery, in cancer patients on anti-cancer drugs and elderly. It has no specific role during pregnancy. However folic acid (mandatory) and iron (if anaemic) should be taken during pregnancy.