What is Emeset indicated for?

Tuesday, 24 March 2009

Q. My son recently got married. My daughter-in-law vomits and shivers at night. She has hair loss and has lost weight too. She has no appetite and always feels thirsty and drinks almost a jug full of water. Whenever she vomits, she takes Emeset 4 (two to three tablets). She never tells us as to why she takes these tablets. After going through your website, I found that this medicine is used after chemotherapy. If yes, then her parents did not tell any such thing to us. I would appreciate if you could advise me on whether or not she has undergone chemotherapy for cancer?

A.  Emeset is the brand name; the name of the medicine is ondansetron. It is indicated in the treatment of nausea and vomiting due to therapy with anti-cancer drug. However, due to aggressive promotion and ignorance on the part of some doctors, the drug is being inappropriately prescribed for normal nausea and vomiting even for very small children. Therefore the fact that someone, taking Emeset, must be a patient of malignancy is not necessarily the correct conclusion.