What is the reason for increased sleepiness?

Monday, 23 March 2009
Answered by: Dr. Ravi Singareddy
Assistant Professor
Penn State University College of Medicine
Pennsylvania, USA

Q. I am 28 years old and have been working long hours but for last few weeks I am getting sleep for abnormal duration of 12 to 14 hours. I am unable to concentrate on work and due to this problem I cannot concentrate any where else. Why do I have this problem?

A.  Several conditions can lead to increase in 24 hour sleep duration - some of these include sleep disorders known as sleep apnoea, narcolepsy, several medications and other medical problems (head trauma, epilepsy, etc). In addition, emotional problems specifically depression may lead to increased tiredness/sleepiness. You might need to be evaluated by a psychiatrist or a physician specialising in sleep medicine to be further assessed in this regard.