Why does my son keep getting viral fever?

Thursday, 19 March 2009
Answered by: Dr. Vidya Gupta
Consultant Paediatrician & Neonatologist,
Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals,

Q. Why does my son keep getting viral fever? My 3 years old son goes to a preschool and has a running nose and he keeps getting fever. We have shown to a doctor who gave antibiotic (Azee) saying that he has a bad throat and the fever remains for 3 to 4 days. We give him Crocin and cough syrup along with antibiotic. This is the third time he is getting this problem in the past 1.5 months? Is there any solution for this?

A.  There is a lot of viral fever in the community at present. As a child starts pre school he mixes with a lot of children with coughs and colds and gets frequent infections. Each episode does not need treatment with an antibiotic. I can only suggest that you give the child enough time to recover completely before returning to school. This will allow him to build up a little strength to fight infections. Most parents send children to school even with fever and this does more harm than good