Which one is safer - tubectomy or vasectomy?

Thursday, 19 February 2009
Answered by: Dr. B.S. Baliga
Senior Consultant, Department of Gynaecology and Obstetrics
Sagar Apollo Hospital
Bangalore

Q. I am a 30 years old man and have been married for 5 years. My wife is 28 years old and we have 2 children, a 20-days-old infant and a 4-year-old daughter. Both the deliveries were normal. Now we are planning for a birth control operation like tubectomy or vasectomy. Which method would be safe for us? Will this operation affect our sexual life? In case if I undergo vasectomy, how long do I need to take rest?

A.  Vasectomy is a safer procedure than tubectomy. You will require maximum of 48 to 72 hours of rest - considering you are working at a project site; otherwise 24 hours is sufficient. Regarding tubectomy - your wife can choose between the laparoscopic and conventional methods. Both are equally efficient (failure rate with both is less than 0.5%). However, laparoscopic method can be done only after 6 weeks of the delivery, and best done by experienced laparoscopist. If the Filshy clips are used, chances of success after recanalization procedure (if required at a later date) are best. Also, recovery time to work is less after laparoscopy compared to conventional method. Regarding vasectomy, there is the no scalpel technique. However, you have to use additional contraceptive (like condoms) for 3 months after the vasectomy - by whichever method.