How long does a teeth cap last for?

Monday, 09 February 2009
Answered by: Dr. Mahesh Verma
Director-Principal, Department of Dental Surgery,
Maulana Azad Institute of Dental Sciences,

Q. I am a 22 years old male. I met with an accident, had RCT done on two of my teeth and I got the teeth capped. What precautions should I take to make the cap last longer and what is the lifetime of a cap? Is slight gum pain normal?

A.  The life of well-executed crowns is couple of years but may last 7 - 8 years. These crowns need good cleaning and maintenance and require regular follow up and scaling by the dentist .The pain in the gums could be gum inflammation, which needs to be examined by your dentist and treated accordingly.