Can I wear contact lenses with cylindrical eye power?

Answered by: Dr. M.S.Ravindra
Ophthalmologist
Karthik Netralaya,
Bangalore

Q. I am a 30 years old female with an eye power of -1.75 cylindrical axis 100 in the right eye and -1.25 cylindrical axis 90 in the left eye. Recently I purchased soft lens from a local optical shop. Somehow, the lens does not sit on the eyeball; it flattens, despite many attempts. Is it true that for individuals with cylindrical axis, only spectacles are to be used? If spectacles are only to be used, then why are the lenses available for individuals with cylindrical axis?

A.  Powers of -1.75 cylindrical axis 100 in the right eye and -1.25 cylindrical axis 90 in the left eye can be corrected by several means. Spectacles, toric contact lenses, RGP contact lenses and advanced surface procedures with Eximer lasik are some of the good options. Don’t buy contacts from an optical shop, unless you have seen an Ophthalmologist. If you are using contacts for the first time, it will be very difficult to use disposable lenses, as they are flat. There are many tricks to get used to them, first of all check if you are putting it right. Have several more training sessions with a trained person.