When can normal activities and sex be resumed after hernia surgery?

Monday, 29 December 2008
Answered by: Dr. Suneet Sood
Consultant Surgeon,
Metro Multispecialty Hospital,
NOIDA, UP

Q. I am a 56 years old man and have undergone conventional surgery for inguinal hernia recently with a mesh fitted. I rested for about 7-8 days & then resumed work 3 days back. Everything seems fine but I have pain in the groin & feel as if the intestines are twisting and turning sometimes. Is it normal? How long does it usually take to return to a normal way of life. The dressing was done a week after the surgery and the incision is dry and is healing without any signs of oozing. The stitches are still there. Please let me know what is the expected time for complete recovery and internal healing and does this operation lead to any adverse effects on ones sex life? Also when can one start having a normal sex life?

A.  Some pain after surgery is normal. Pain gets less and less with time: daily, then a few times a week, then a few times a month, then a few times a year. Pain typically lasts for 1-10 minutes. You can resume average activities in 3 to 6 days, your professional activities within a week after surgery, driving within 3 weeks, heavy and strenuous activities within 6-12 weeks (depending on your doctor). Sexual intercourse should be okay within a week of surgery.