Why do I get vaginal boils before my monthly periods?

Monday, 15 December 2008
Answered by: Dr. Kamlender Singh
Senior Consultant, Dermatology and Venereology,
Sir Ganga Ram Hospital,

Q. I am a 35 years old female getting recurrent boils in the vaginal area for the past 5 years. The boils usually come up before my monthly periods and take about 8 to 10 days or sometimes more to go away. Once the boil is ripe, either pus or blood comes out. It is extremely painful. No antibiotics have given any relief. What is the reason for getting these boils and what is the best remedy? Also, I get periods only for two days and the flow is very poor.

A.  Recurrent pustules in the genital and adjacent area may be due to bacterial infection and even due to an uncommon condition called hidradenitis suppurativa. Careful examination by a competent person and relevant investigation should enable a correct diagnosis. Sometimes secondary superimposed bacterial infection complicates the latter. If it has been determined that the problem is only a bacterial infection, then the predisposing and perpetuating conditions should be sought and eliminated so that recurrence can be avoided.