Why does it take me so long to urinate?

Monday, 15 December 2008
Answered by: Dr. Rajesh Ahlawat
Director, Urology and Renal Transplantation
Fortis Hospitals

Q. I am a 28 years old male. I have been observing for the last two years that I have to wait for long (at least a minute) to pass urine. This happens even when I have an urgency. I don't feel any pain or any other symptom. What could be the reason for this?

A.  The delay before starting urination could be psychological as well as pathological. Many men may have psychological hesitancy in public toilet or when there is another person standing next to them, but would find it normal to pass urine in privacy. Common pathological cause of hesitancy is bladder outlet obstruction or bladder neck hypertrophy, usually seen in elderly but may occur in young males with inflammatory conditions in vicinity of the bladder neck. Further detailed history, clinical examination and investigations would be necessary before reaching a conclusion.