Why have I been asked to go for FNAC test?

Monday, 08 December 2008
Answered by: Dr. Anil Safaya
Senior Specialist and HOD,
Department of Otolaryngology,Ibri Regional Referral Hospital
Sulltanate of Oman

Q. I am a 42 years old male. There is a small hard gland right under my left ear. There is no pain while pressing or any movement. My doctor has asked me to go for FNAC test. Is something serious?

A.  There could be many reasons for this swelling and FNAC is the right thing to do. If you have taken a course of antibiotics and the FNAC is normal, you should wait for some time for the swelling to recede by itself. If the swelling remains, then consult the same doctor and it can be again tested and taken care of. There is nothing to get worried about.