Why are my fasting blood sugar levels more than PP levels?

Thursday, 13 November 2008
Answered by: Dr. (Col.) Surender Kumar
Senior Consultant & Head, Department of Endocrinology & Metabolism,
Sir Ganga Ram Hospital,

Q. I am 58 years old female. My blood sugar (fasting) has been ranging between 130-150 mg/dl for the last six months. However, after having food, the blood sugar levels reduce to 110-120 mg/dl. Is it due to some abnormality?

A.  Fasting blood sugar can be higher in some people, medically it is called fasting hyperglycaemia. It is usually found in people with a perfectionist personality like high executives. It is due to high level of stress hormones in the morning, which actually prepare the body for rest of the day. Over a variable span of time, blood sugar may start rising. This may later go on to frank diabetes. Lifestyle modifications, stress reduction, meditation etc. may help. Metformin drug may also be useful.