Why am I getting brown discharge during pregnancy?

Friday, 31 October 2008
Answered by: Dr. B.S. Baliga
Senior Consultant, Department of Gynaecology and Obstetrics
Sagar Apollo Hospital
Bangalore

Q. I am a 35 years old female. I delivered a baby boy nine months back and am four months pregnant now. Two weeks back, I had a lot of bleeding. I visited my doctor and he told me that everything looks normal and that the baby's heart beat is OK. Now, I am getting brownish vaginal discharge for the last two days. All these didn't happen during my first pregnancy. Is it normal to have brownish blood discharge during fourth month of pregnancy?

A.  The brown discharge indicates old collected blood. If the placenta is not low lying, and the baby is alive, I guess bleeding will subside. I guess your doctor has done a speculum examination (if placenta is not low lying on scan) to rule out local causes of bleeding like a cervical polyp.