How should I make my son concentrate on studies?

Thursday, 09 October 2008
Answered by: Dr. S. Anandalakshmy
Consultant in Child Development & Education,

Chennai

Q. My 6 years old son is studying in class one. He is very sharp and like to go school every day. He is hyperactive and very restless child and has a concentration problem. What should I do so that he can consentrate in his studies?

A.  There is no formula or pill for your "problem". I have put the word problem in quotes because I feel that it is not one. A bright six year old who likes to go to school is an asset. There is no need to concentrate on studies. The world around is his text book. He absorbs information from many sources. Make sure he has enough time for active play and see if you can find out his special interest or talent and support it. More involved parental time, a sensible routine and proper nutrition and sleep schedules and stimulating books and toys should do the job for you.