Why is there a bad smell after sneezing?

Tuesday, 05 August 2008
Answered by: Dr. Anil Safaya
Senior Specialist and HOD,
Department of Otolaryngology,Ibri Regional Referral Hospital
Sulltanate of Oman

Q. I am a 38 years old man who had a problem of bad smell. When I sneeze, it gives a bad smell. Please suggest. I do not drink or smoke.

A.  Some amount of stagnant nasal and sinus secretions are present in the nose and some small pockets in the nose. They become stale and start smelling. When you sneeze, these secretions are forced out of the nose and you feel the smell. If this happens very often and you also have some foul smell coming from the breath also, then one visit to an ENT specialist is warranted to rule out any nasal or sinus infection.