Can insects enter the brain through ears?

Answered by: Dr. Irwin Ziment
Professor of Medicine,
University of California Los Angeles (UCLA),
USA

Q. I am a 22 years old boy. I have heard that millipede or centipede (known as kaankhajoora in Hindi) can enter into your ear while you are asleep and eat away your brain. Is this true? Can they be fatal?

A.  There is no evidence of insects in the ear getting into the brain although it is a popular myth that they can. If one does get in, it has to be smoked out or removed with a simple forceps. It should be no problem to remove foreign objects that do not require a physicians help. If problems persists, extra caution is required to avoid millipedes and centipedes.