Why do I have boils in my eyes?

Monday, 23 June 2008
Answered by: Dr. Arun K. Mishra
Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon,
London,
UK

Q. I am a 49 years old male with small boils inside my eye on the red fleshy part, near the white area, inside the lower lid. It does not look like a stye. It causes irritation and I can feel the presence of a foreign material in the eye. What is the reason for these boils and how should I get them cured?

A.  This is called Plica semilunaris and it is normal to have it. Only if you are allergic to something, it causes irritation. Had it been a proper boil, it would have been painful. Stye is acute and painful and affects lids lash margins. Plica semilunaris does not require any treatment as most of us are allergic to something.