Why does my creatinine level fluctuate?

Saturday, 07 June 2008
Answered by: Dr. Vijay Kher
Director - Deptt. of Nephrology & Transplant Medicine
Fortis Flt. Lt. Rajan Dhall Hospital

Q. I underwent renal transplantation 4 months back. Since then my creatinine level fluctuates ranging from 1.1 to 1.6. Can you tell me whether my kidney function is fine? What will be my diet?

A.  Unfortunately the serum creatinine is a difficult test to do in the lab and requires good standardisation so you should do both urea and creatinine together. Urea is a sturdier test across labs. We use both of these to give us an indirect assessment of kidney function. A patient with normal kidney function should have normal food, avoid too much sugar and fatty food.