How to get rid of pus cells in the urine during pregnancy?

Thursday, 17 April 2008
Answered by: Dr. Mahendra Bhandari
Professor of Urology, Director Clinical Research
Vattikuti Urology Institute, Henry Ford Hospital
Detroit, USA

Q. I am 24 weeks pregnant, 27 years old. I was detected with plenty of pus cells in the urine. Will this affect my pregnancy and how can lower these pus cells?

A.  You are at a crucial phase of pregnancy and we would prefer to avoid medicines if possible. You should try general measures as follows. -Plenty of fluids to keep your urine output to 1.8 to 2 litres. -Cranberry juice may help you -Do not hold urine for long time and keep passing urine frequently. Keeping bladder empty helps. -Very good personal hygiene will help particularly so of your private parts, undergarments. -Washing your private parts with clean water after passing urine every time. -You should get periodic urine culture done and take any medicine only if approved by your urologist. I think you would be fine.