Is Diane 35 a safe method of contraception?

Monday, 07 April 2008

Q. I have been using Diane 35 as an oral contraceptive for the past one month. My doctor had asked me to take it from the fifth day of my menstrual cycle but the medicine pack says that I should begin from the first day. Please tell me when to begin? Is it a safe method of contraception?

A.  Diane 35 is indicated in the treatment of acne refractory to other therapies. It is not to be used solely for contraception. When used for acne, the starting point is Day 1 of the cycle. You can use another OC for contraception though it is better and safer for male partner to use condoms.