Which AKT 4 drug needs to be taken empty stomach?

Friday, 14 March 2008
Answered by: Dr. Anuj Sharma
Senior Consultant Microbiologist
Sir Ganga Ram Hospital
Delhi

Q. I was prescribed AKT-4; the pack contains three tablets and one capsule. I would like to know which medicine needs to be taken empty stomach (one tablet or the capsule). The remaining medicines have to be taken after breakfast, lunch and dinner. I am suffering from tuberculosis and I got pleural fluid in my lungs.

A.  AKT 4 is a combipack of antitubercular drugs and each days treatment contains: 1 capsule of rifampicin 450 mg, 2 tablets of pyrazinamide 750 mg and 1 tablet of ethambutol 800 mg plus isoniazid (INH) 300 mg. The rifampicin capsule should be taken empty stomach and the rest of the tablets together after breakfast every day. You should be aware that rifampicin may change your urine colour to orange and is nothing to worry about. Please follow the treatment for the duration as advised by your doctor to prevent the complication of drug resistant tuberculosis.