Can I take Restyl daily?

Thursday, 28 February 2008

Q. Is it safe to take Restyl 0.25 mg daily at night? I am also suffering with chronic bronchitis. I have a cyst in my right kidney and my liver is also partially damaged (5 to 10%). Please tell.

A.  Restyl is the brand name of a medicine called alprazolam. It is indicated for short term use for Generalised Anxiety Disorder (GAD). It is not at all safe to use it daily for indefinite duration. Its list of side effects include (which may be experienced by a few patients) Central Nervous System disturbances including impaired alertness, hypotension, GIT upset, amnesia, impaired memory, coordination or attention, dysarthria, ataxia, arthralgia, dyspnoea, increased salivation, paradoxical excitement, withdrawal seizures, tremors, decreased libido and sexual dysfunction. The drug is addictive and causes dependence.