How long does it take for the swelling to settle down after surgery?

Thursday, 28 February 2008
Answered by: Dr. Surindher
Plastic Surgeon

Bangalore

Q. I am a 20 years old girl. Recently, I got my lower lip reduced surgically because of its thick size. I want to know how many days does it take for the swelling to go away completely. The surgery took place 7 days before.

A.  The swelling after any surgery takes around 3 months for it to completely settle down. But most of the swelling after a lip reduction will go down by two weeks. But for you to feel, it will feel numb and somewhat firm to touch for around 2- 3 months. But for others to notice it will go down within two weeks.