Are sugar-free tablets safe for diabetics?

Answered by: Dr. (Col.) Surender Kumar
Senior Consultant & Head, Department of Endocrinology & Metabolism,
Sir Ganga Ram Hospital,

Q. I am 35 years old and a diabetic patient since three years. Please advise if I can take sugar-free tablets? Is it safe? Are there any side effects? How much quantity is safe?

A.  Sugar-free tablets are free of any side effects as long as they are not heated up and you do not have phenylketonuria. You may prepare the dish and put sugar free powered or Tab in that after all heating is over. The safe limit is: you may use 10-15 tabs a day. Ensure that your kidney function is normal, and then they are safe.