Why do I get throat irritation after oral sex?

Wednesday, 30 January 2008
Answered by: Dr. S. Krishnamurti
Andrologist & Microsurgeon,
Andromeda Andrology Centre,
Hyderabad

Q. I have a boyfriend from the last 18 months. We have been very close to each other and have been very intimate. Last week he forced me into sucking his penis. Though I enjoyed it, I felt irritation in the throat. I feel the after effects are harsh. Why is it so?

A.  Oral sex must be mutually consensual and optional. There is no need to force yourself to do it. Discuss this with your partner. He needs to understand this. As for the irritation, remember that genito-oral transmission of infections including STDs is quite common. If this has been going on for some time, both of you will require testing.