Is it safe to take medicines during pregnancy?

Saturday, 22 December 2007

Q. I am 20 years old lady, three months pregnant. I am suffering from cough and vomiting. I am on Omez, Mucaine gel, Pregnidoxin, Grilinctus cough suppressant. I just want to ask are these medicines safe during pregnancy?

A.  I am afraid, Omez (omeprazole) is contraindicated (not permitted) during pregnancy and hence should not be used. Pregnidoxin (due to presence of meclizine) should also not be taken during pregnancy. Mucaine Gel (due to presence of oxethazine) should not be taken during the first and second trimester of pregnancy. Grilinctus (due to presence of dextromethorphan) should also not be taken during pregnancy. One should avoid all medicines during the first three months except mandatory agents such as folic acid which must be taken to prevent birth defects. For vomiting the only permitted medicine is Queezy (which contains doxylamine and vitamin B-6). The dose is 2 tablets at bedtime; if required one more tablet the following morning and one in the afternoon. For cough it is better to rely on steam inhalation.