Why do I have raised blood sugar and liver enzymes?

Wednesday, 24 October 2007
Answered by: Dr. Sanjiv Saigal
Gastroenterologist,
Sir Ganga Ram Hospital,

Q. I am 31 years old weighing 89 kg and 188 cm tall. Two years back, I was diagnosed with high SGOT and SGPT levels. I was advised to cut down on fried food, but the levels are constant for the past two years. I am a social drinker, but have quit smoking. Recently, I noted that my random blood glucose level was varying from 100 to 240 during the day and my fasting blood glucose level was around 135. My glycosylated Hb was 7.2. I was asked to take 1 gm of Metformin (sustained release) once daily at night. The doctor also asked me to go for brisk walks, but my blood glucose levels are not going down. Please suggest what needs to be done in this regard.

A.  I feel that the main reason for high levels of SGOT and SGPT in your case is fatty liver. You have a combination of predisposing factors, which predict a high chance of fatty liver disease in your case. These include:
  1. Overweight
  2. Diabetes
  3. History of alcohol However, it is important that all other causes of deranged liver tests are looked into. These include hepatitis B, hepatitis C, iron overload states, etc. You must have an ultrasound of liver, which is quite accurate in picking up fatty liver. You must get your lipid profile and thyroid functions checked. Sometimes, it is necessary to undergo a liver biopsy to further find out the cause of liver derangement. For treatment, I suggest that you must lose weight, cut down on fried and oily food, and control your blood sugars. You may also take Udiliv or Metadoxine (your treating doctor can prescribe these).

1. Overweight
  2. Diabetes