What are the side effects of polytorva?

Thursday, 11 October 2007

Q. I am a 32 years old male. I want to know the side effects of polytorva. My physician has asked me to take this medicine as replacement for cardace 5 mg and ecosprin 75 mg.

A.  Polytorva is the brand name of a three-in-one fixed-dose combination. It contains three medicines: ramipril, atorvastatin and aspirin. Currently you are taking ramipril (cardace) 5 mg and aspirin (ecosprin) 75 mg. If you take polytorva in place of current medication, then in place of two, you would be taking three medicines. Naturally the side effects of atorvastatin will be added. Also I am not sure if atorvastatin is required in your case. Its potential side effects are: GI upset, headache, muscle and/or joint pains, asthenia, insomnia, rash, flu-like syndrome, sinusitis, elevated ALT and CPK levels in blood, sensory and mixed sensorimotor peripheral nerve disorders, tendon rupture, loss of memory, myopathy and rhabdomyolysis (which can be life-threatening) with kidney dysfunction. In general it is not a good idea to take combination products. Fixed-dose combinations (FDCs): Medicines are discovered individually and are supposed to be taken separately. Except in a few cases (such as TB medicines), it is always better to take medicines separately so that dosage can be adjusted (not possible in FDCs) and side effects of individual medicines monitored (not possible in FDCs).