Is thickening of the mucosa dangerous?

Tuesday, 14 August 2007
Answered by: Dr. Rishi Mohan
Consultant Ophthalmologist,
Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals,

Q. I am a 31 years old mother and a computer professional. Two weeks back, I had a sort of mirage vision on my right side. It was there for 2 to 3 hours. After that I became normal. Subsequently, I started getting mild headache. My vision test was normal [6/6], except cylindrical power was 0.5. To correct this, glasses had been prescribed. I had to undergo MRI scan of the brain, which gave normal report except for mild mucosal thickening seen in ethmoid air cells. Can you please explain what is mild mucosal thickening in ethmoid air cell and what are its effects? Is it dangerous?

A.  Thickening of the mucosa of the paranasal sinuses is a common occurrence. It suggests mild sinusitis. If severe, sinusitis can cause frequent/vacuum headaches. It is a self-limiting and non-dangerous condition. The symptoms (mirage vision) suggest a migraine type of headache that you had.