What is the cause of yellow discoloration of the sclera?

Thursday, 09 August 2007
Answered by: Dr. Arun K. Mishra
Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon,
London,
UK

Q. I am a 29 years old female, working in Saudi Arabia. I have yellow discoloration of my sclera in both the eyes. The reports of my blood test are normal. This test included the testing for all kinds of Hepatitis. Can you tell me the cause and treatment of this problem?

A.  Yellow discolouration of the sclera happens only in jaundice and that too if you have not been suffering from the disease for a very long time. Chronic diarrhoea leads to a deficiency of vitamin A, which can also cause mild discolouration of the sclera. If you are not facing any other problem, you needn't worry.