Why does my baby have breathing problem while taking feed?

Thursday, 05 July 2007
Answered by: Dr. Anju Seth
Associate Professor of Pediatrics,
LHMC,

Q. My baby is only a month old. She is having a breathing problem while taking breast feed. What is the cause and treatment for this?

A.  A common reason for breathing difficulty during breastfeeding is a blocked nose. It is usually obvious because of the nasal sounds associated with a blocked nose. This can be taken care of by putting normal saline nasal drops, available freely with the chemist in the babies nose and gently removing the softened secretions after 1-2 minutes using a dropper. If this does not sort out the problem, and the baby appears to leave the breast while feeding and also has associated fast breathing or in drawing of chest wall during breathing, she needs to be evaluated by a paediatrician.