Why does my mouth water excessively?

Thursday, 21 June 2007
Answered by: Dr. Sanjiv Saigal
Gastroenterologist,
Sir Ganga Ram Hospital,

Q. My mouth waters excessively. As a result I have to spit a lot. What is the cause, symptom and treatment for this condition?

A.  The problem of excessive watering in the mouth can be related to gastroesophageal reflux. In this situation, there is reflux of acid from stomach into the food pipe, and this leads to increased salivation, reflexly. It is important to know whether you have any symptoms of heartburn, upper abdominal burning sensation, any relation of your symptoms with the type of food you take, etc. It may be a good idea to take symptomatic treatment in the form of acid suppressants and prokinetic drugs, which your doctor can prescribe. If needed, an upper GI endoscopy may be done. Also look for local dental problems.