How can I correct my drooping shoulders?

Answered by: Ms. Neeta Garg
Fitness expert and Psychologist
Apollo Clinic
Gurgaon

Q. I have drooping shoulders. What is the cause for it and how my shoulders come back to the normal position? I have recently joined a gym. Can shoulder exercises help me in any way?

A.  There are a number of reasons why shoulders droop. It could be due to incorrect posture, weak upper back muscles, the habit of stooping because you are too tall, etc. You can do the following exercises particularly for the upper back BUT you must also workout the rest of the body so that there is stability and balance in your self:
  • Push-ups
  • Rowing for the muscles in the upper back
  • Upright rows for the muscles in the shoulders
  • Shoulder press for the deltoids
  • A.  There are a number of reasons why shoulders droop. It could be due to incorrect posture, weak upper back muscles, the habit of stooping because you are too tall, etc. You can do the following exercises particularly for the upper back BUT you must also workout the rest of the body so that there is stability and balance in your self:
  • Push-ups
  • Shoulder press for the deltoids
  • More from this section