For how long should I take Urimax-F?

Friday, 25 May 2007
Answered by: Dr. Rajesh Ahlawat
Director, Urology and Renal Transplantation
Fortis Hospitals

Q. I have been prescribed Urimax F 1 capsule daily at HS. My prostrate is enlarged. With this medication, I have no problem in urination and there is no pain and the flow is normal, although with less pressure. The doctor desires another USG KV to decide if surgery is required. How long should I take this medicine? Is it necessary to stop it for 2 days to get USG KV done?

A.  Urimax-F is a combination of two drugs, Tamsulosin and Finasteride. It is necessary to exclude prostate cancer by doing PSA and a physical examination before prescribing these drugs, which I am sure this must have been done by your physician. These drugs are safe over long term. It is usually possible to stop the Tamsulosisn component after 6 months to a year, and continue with finasteride alone. It may take a minimum of 6 months for an ultrasound to show any perceptible changes after starting medications, and any earlier ultrasound may be a useless exercise.