Why my child afraid of being alone?

Tuesday, 08 May 2007
Answered by: Dr. S. Anandalakshmy
Consultant in Child Development & Education,

Chennai

Q. My son is 6 years old. He is afraid to be in a room alone. I have sat down held him, hugged him and always let him know I am here for him. For some reason, he is afraid to be in a room alone. As long as I am in the room with him he is alright. As soon as I leave the room, he is right behind me. I get frustrated at times, but I try not to let him see me getting upset. It hurts me to see him like this. He has his night light, I keep his bedroom door open at all times. I tuck him in at night, and I give him special attention. I just don’t know where I am going wrong. I try to do everything I feel is right. I talk to my husband about this and he too can’t figure it out either. We always have given him attention, from day one. What do you feel that we can do to help my son? My 18 year old has never been afraid to be alone, and are raising my 6 year the same way. It really hurts me to see him like this. I am so afraid, it may affect him when he gets older. I don’t want him to be afraid of anything.

A.  No two children are exactly alike. Even though brought up in the same way, children of the same family can have inborn temperamental differences. Perhaps your six year old had some dream or fantasy, where he was convinced that being alone would be dangerous. Some television shows can be quite scary, though here again, reactions do vary. If your home situation permits it, maybe you could get a small puppy as a pet for your son. Training the pup would make him feel responsible. It would also be good company for him. He will outgrow his fears in the course of time. If you are still concerned, talk to a friendly Counsellor or Psychologist. Help your child to develop a special talent or interest, so that he feels really happy.