Why do my inner thighs itch?

Tuesday, 24 April 2007
Answered by: Prof. Jayakar Thomas
Senior Consultant Dermatologist
Kanchi Kamakoti Childs Trust Hospital
Chennai

Q. I am 18 years old and have black areas on both my inner thighs. They itch a lot and when I take a bath, and when the water touches that area, it stings. What should I do to prevent this from spreading? How can I get rid of this colour and itch?

A.  From the data given, it appears that you are a bit obese. This will cause rubbing and friction between the thighs resulting in pigmentation, itching, inflammation, and bacterial and fungal infection. I suggest that you first make attempts to reduce your body weight. Keep the thighs dry and use talcum powder. Use an anti-fungal cream that is prescribed by your doctor.