How can ejaculation occur without an erection?

Monday, 26 February 2007
Answered by: Dr. S. Krishnamurti
Andrologist & Microsurgeon,
Andromeda Andrology Centre,
Hyderabad

Q. I am 25 years of age. When I am bored and have no work, I have the habit of taking a sexy woman's photo and rubbing my penis onto a soft surface and ejaculate. The ejaculation takes place without my penis getting erect. Is it normal?

A.  What you are discharging is probably just urethral, Cowpers and prostatic gland fluid. These are fluids secreted before the real ejaculation and are intended by nature to lubricate the vagina during intercourse. Don't worry about it. This is normal. If you are able to get good erections at other times and ejaculate normally with good force, don't bother. If you never get hard erections, you will need an andrological evaluation.