Is a placenta - fundal posterior grade 0 normal?

Thursday, 15 February 2007
Answered by: Dr. B.S. Baliga
Senior Consultant, Department of Gynaecology and Obstetrics
Sagar Apollo Hospital
Bangalore

Q. How are the placental grades in pregnancy interpreted? Is it normal to have a placenta - fundal posterior grade 0 in 12 weeks and 5 days of pregnancy? Kindly send me the reply soon.

A.  This report of placenta is absolutely normal. I guess your baby’s heartbeats and growth have documented by ultrasound to be normal. The grading of placenta depends upon the sonographic morphology, with grade 3 indicating a mature placenta, usually at term. Sometimes one comes across a grade 3 placenta earlier on e.g. at 32 -34 weeks, when a woman has hypertension etc, which then becomes a point of concern to the obstetrician, as it then indicates premature aging of placenta - to describe it in simple lay mans terms.