Do hypothyroid people need a special diet or exercise?

Answered by: Dr. Sujeet Jha
Consultant Endocrinologist
Max Group of Hospitals

Q. I am 50 years old. At the age of 39 years, I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. After diagnosis, I was on carbimazole for 8-9 months. My condition improved and I remained fine for 6 years without drugs. Slowly the TSH level increased and after 3 tests with several months gap, I was given Thyroxine 50 microgram daily and had to continue it for 3 years. I took blood tests every year for T3, T4 and TSH. The thyroid hormone levels have been within range. Will I need more hormone supplements? Is there any way to keep my thyroid glands healthy and function normally? Do I need any special exercise for that?

A.  1. Most patients with hypothyroidism require lifelong treatment, but the dose of thyroxine may need to be adjusted. You should always inform your Endocrinologist/Physician about any other medications that you take, because of the possibility of drug interactions. 2. There is no need for a special diet or special exercise to keep your thyroid health. There is no way to keep your thyroid healthy other than a healthy diet. 3. Most of the patients need life long treatment. There is a very small chance that you will not need any medication (Euthyroid) or will again become overactive (hyperthyroid).