Can I drink alcohol after angioplasty?

Wednesday, 31 January 2007
Answered by: Dr. O.P. Yadava
Consultant Cardiac Surgeon, CEO
National Heart Institute and Research Centre

Q. Last year I underwent angioplasty at the age of 35 years. Some how I reduced my body weight. But due to my touring job, I have to eat outside daily and take alcohol. But I am taking my medicines regularly. I have also gained weight, as I don't have the will power to control. Is alcohol bad for heart, as doctors say that a small peg can do. How can I control this temptation? I want to reduce my medicine, as I am taking Storvas 40, Ecosprin150mg, Betaloc 25 and Cerawin 25. How can I improve my lifestyle, as I cannot stop alcohol?

A.  Up to 200 ml of red wine and up to 60 – 90 ml of 42% proof alcohol is quite fine, as far as heart is concerned and there are no other contraindications for intake of alcohol. The weight gain is a multi factorial thing and it is related both to over eating and to under exercising. It is therefore very important that you should exercise adequately everyday and 20-30 minutes of brisk walk is mandatory. It is not that you stop eating when you go on touring jobs but it is the qualitative nature of food, which is important. One can always take plenty of salads and eat food, which is relatively less fatty. Also stopping alcohol is feasible and it can be done if you have the willpower and commitment. I don’t think, leaving alcohol is all that difficult if one decides in the right earnest. Yogic exercises, deep breathing (Pranayam) and meditation also will help you control this temptation.