Can Orofer XT be taken over a long period of time?

Wednesday, 17 January 2007

Q. Is it advisable to use iron drops (Orofer XT) continuously? My doctor suggested me to use, when my child was 8 months old. He told me to continue them till my child was 3 years old. My child is 20 months old now. Please advise.

A.  Orofer XT contains iron and folic acid. It is not clear as to why this medicine was given to an 8-month old infant in the first place. It is to be given only when there is proven iron deficiency anaemia, more particularly in pre-term or low birth weight babies. It is not a tonic and must never be taken routinely. It also interacts with other medicines. Overdose of iron can lead to iron poisoning which is more common in childhood and is usually either accidental or overuse. The symptoms are nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhoea, haematemesis and rectal bleeding. Hypotension, coma, and liver damage occur later.