What is the cause for pain in my right wrist and thumb?

Saturday, 30 December 2006
Answered by: Professor Anand N. Malaviya
Consultant Rheumatologist,
A & R Clinic,

Q. I am 55 years old. Since about last 2-3 months, I am having pain in my right wrist and the base of the thumb and lower arm. I consulted an orthopaedic surgeon who advised me to take Zerodol-S (BD) for 2 weeks. After that he put me on to Zoflam (TDS) along with Trinergic-L and Sazo EN 500 but till now I don't feel much change. I would like to know whether I should continue with the same line of treatment or should I consult some neurologist also?

A.  The symptoms that you have described appear rather typical of osteoarthritis (arthritis of ageing, not due any other disease) of the 1st carpo-metacarpal joint - a very common condition in persons who are not actively doing regular exercises. Generally such people are over weight as well. You are grossly overweight for your height. My advice would be that you might like to consult a rheumatologist (not orthopaedic surgeon) and get the diagnosis confirmed. Then, go for regular physiotherapy exercises under the guidance of qualified physiotherapist-occupational therapist. As there are no medicines to cure this ageing process, it is better to avoid painkillers as they cause side effects. Also, consult some physician to start bringing down your weight towards normal. Be as active as possible.