Which soap and shampoo is safe for my newborn baby?

Monday, 13 November 2006
Answered by: Dr. Satish Saluja
Consultant Neonatologist,
Sir Ganga Ram Hospital,

Q. I would like to know something about child care. I have a newborn baby girl and I want your advice on which shampoo or soap should I use for my baby? Her doctor has advised me to go in for Johnson and Johnson but another doctor told me not to use this since it contains proxyn, which is harmful for the child’s skin. Please suggest which baby soap and shampoo is safe for my baby?

A.  During the first month of life there is no real need of using soap or shampoo. After that any gentle baby soap or shampoo could be used which suits your babys skin and does not cause an allergy.