Is Hematrine better than Livogen-Z during pregnancy?

Wednesday, 08 November 2006

Q. I am 28 years old and in my 16th week of pregnancy. The 12th week anomaly scan of the fetus was normal. I have no morning sickness so far. My haemoglobin count was 11.9 gm%, when last tested. My doctor has now put me on Fol5 and Hematrine. My friend who is also a doctor has asked me to discontinue Hematrine and start Livogen-Z. Which medicine should I take, Hematrine or Livogen–Z?

A.  Hematrine and Livogen-Z are both brand names. Their ingredients are similar. Both contain low dose folic acid apart from iron. As you know folic acid is absolutely essential irrespective of whether your Hb is low or high. You have not mentioned whether you are taking folic acid separately also. If you are taking folic acid separately also, then there is not much difference between the two. The dose will be just one Hematrine or just one Livogen-Z daily. If you are not taking folic acid separately, then it would be better to take a product that contains adequate amount of iron and folic acid such as Globac-Z Softules - one daily.