What is the difference between Urimax and Urimax-F?

Tuesday, 16 May 2006

Q. Is Urimax F (Tamsulosin 0.4 + Finasteride 5 mg) effective in alleviating the symptoms of benign prostate hypertrophy (BPH). I am 67 years old. Until now I used to take Urimax 0.4 but my family physician suggested Uriamx F once daily. I have frequent urination at night. I have a feeling of residual urine after emptying the bladder. I have hypertension and take Cardivas, Loran and Ecosprin. BPH was confirmed after a digital rectal exam and ultrasound. Is Urimax F more effective than Urimax? How long do I need to take it?

A.  Both tamsulosin (Urimax) and finasteride (sold under the trade name of Fincar) are individually used for relief of symptoms of benign enlargement of prostate. They can be used concurrently in the form of Urimax-F. However, both reduce blood pressure also. Since you are already taking two medicines for high blood pressure, the dosage of various drugs may need to be adjusted so that your blood pressure does not fall too much.