Why does my head sweat after eating food?

Tuesday, 10 January 2006
Answered by: DoctorNDTV.com

Q. Whenever I eat food, my head starts sweating. Its a daily routine. No matter what I eat, the next minute my head is filled with sweat. How can I get rid of this problem.

A.  Gustatory hyperhidrosis (sweating in response to food) is an unusual cause of facial sweating in response to hot or spicy foods. It is a physiologic (normal) response caused by over stimulation of the sympathetic nervous system and is involuntary in nature. For some people it may be a psycho-social problem, in which case it can be treated (oral anticholinergic drugs, topical application of anticholinergics or aluminum chloride, injection of botulinum toxin).