Veneers

Answered by: DoctorNDTV Team

Q. Wouldn’t it be nice to look better feel younger. And enhance your confidence profile many times over?

A.  Why do teeth discolour?

Discoloration of teeth is either external (coffee, tea, wine, saffron in food etc) or internal (due to fluoride in water, use of antibiotics in childhood e.g.: tetracycline), trauma leading to nerve death, or due to genetic factors/conditions that affect enamel and/or dentin or plain age–related.

If you are unhappy with the colour or state of your front teeth—veneers might be for you.

Doc: What happens and what do I do?

A) Have your dentist diagnose your problem.
B) If indicated, a wafer –thin porcelain/composite veneer will be advised for a few or many teeth after slight removal of your enamel—0.5-1.5mm.
C) Your dentist will then take a measurement and colour-match your teeth.
D) He will then send it to a competent laboratory which will then design and make a beautiful, life-like set of veneer based on his instructions.
E) Your dentist will then cement them onto your teeth with a special cement (also tooth coloured) and voila –you now have a fresh new smile.

Doc: What is better composite or a porcelain veneer?

A composite veneer needs less tooth-reduction, is shorter –lived and can discolour a bit more easily.
A porcelain veneer is more colour-stable and longer-lasting. But it is more expensive.

Doc: What precautions do I have to take?

A) Avoid exceptionally hard foods e.g.: Toblerone from the fridge and some chikki.
B) No contact sport for you either.
C) Maintain excellent oral hygiene by brushing twice daily with a fluoride (preferable unless otherwise contraindicated), floss regularly.
D) Visit your dentist regularly.

Remember: An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure

A.  Why do teeth discolour?

Doc: What happens and what do I do?

B) No contact sport for you either.
D) Visit your dentist regularly.