Am I suffering from any throat disease?

Answered by: Dr (Prof) Santosh Kacker

Senior Consultant,ENT,Sitaram Bhartia Institute of Science & Research, Delhi

Q. I am a 43 years old male suffering from throat problem for the last two weeks. On drinking water, I feel something is in my throat like a very small ball, which seems to come up. I have no pain, hoarseness or swelling. Am I suffering from any disease?

A.  The condition is called globus and it occurs in dry swallow. Get a barium swallow done to exclude any lesion. Antacids along with domperidon help if all is normal. Worrying makes the condition worse. In gross organic disease, the difficulty is more with solid foods.